Blake Desjarlais, Member of Parliament, Edmonton Griesbach
Councillor Erin Rutherford, City of Edmonton Anirniq Ward Councillor
David Eggen, MLA Edmonton North West
Kairi Pawlick, Canada Lands
The Griesbach Community League (GCL) is hosting its Annual General Meeting at Major General Griesbach School on Wednesday March 8 from 7–9pm (doors open at 6:30).
Is my presence really needed?
Glad you asked–Yes.
This is an opportunity for you to:
• Get educated on current and future Griesbach developments
• Find out how your GCL board has been working for you
• Share your ideas and feedback during question period
• Learn about open positions on the board
• Vote in your new board members*
Icing-on-the-cake extras: coffee, snacks, child-minding
We will also be holding our Griesbach Community League elections. This is a
chance for community members like you to run for the board and help shape our community with your energy and ideas.
Whether you are interested in running for the board, or simply would like to meet some neighbours and to learn about development plans for Griesbach, we would love to see you. Everyone is welcome.
POSITIONS UP FOR ELECTION :
President, Secretary, Facilities, Memberships, Sports, Neighbourhood Watch, Parks & Gardens, Volunteers, Programs, Fundraising, Member-at-Large.
For more detailed position descriptions, continue reading below.
- Provides leadership to the board by:
- encouraging board members to participate in meetings and activities.
- focusing the board’s activities on the organization’s mission.
- Ensures the board members are oriented, trained and recognized for their contributions.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of the board’s decision-making process.
- Acts as a liaison between the community league and other community leagues or civic organizations.
- Promotes the organization’s purpose in the community and to the media and acts as spokesperson for the league.
- Is the primary liaison between the league and EFCL.
- Participates in the selection and release of any paid employees in consultation with other executive officers.
- Plays a leading role in supporting fundraising activities.
- Is responsible for committees by:
- serving as an ex-officio member of all committees and attending their meetings when needed;
- ensuring that committee chairpersons are appointed.
- Arranges for the orientation of committee chairpersons.
- Is responsible for the board’s agenda.
- Chairs meetings of the community league according to Robert’s Rules of Order or as designated in the bylaws and ensure meetings adhere to the agenda.
- Per Robert’s Rules, votes on Board motions/major decisions only in the event of a tie
- Acts as one of the signing officers for cheques and other documents such as contracts and grant applications.
- Prepares a President’s Report for the annual general meeting.
- Keeps copies of the bylaws, minutes and other documents.
- Keeps lists of Directors, committees and general membership.
- Informs EFCL of Board member updates after elections.
- Records all minutes during board and general meetings.
- Files correspondence.
- Ensures there is a quorum.
- Records all motions and decisions of meetings.
- Distributes copies of minutes to directors and posts minutes online (if applicable) promptly after meetings
- Notifies members of general meetings.
- Files the annual return, amendments to the bylaws and other incorporating documents with the Corporate Registry.
- In the absence of the chairperson and vice- chairperson, chairs board meetings until the election of an alternate chairperson.
- Archives league records.
- Responsible for all community facilities and structures – including all historical/commemorative military structures
- Supervises building maintenance and repair.
- Reviews condition of facilities and structures
- Maintains up-to-date building maintenance records.
- Advises league on maintenance and upgrades.
- Obtains estimates for maintenance, repair and upgrade work.
- Coordinates the development (including fund development) for the Griesbach Community Playground Development
- Recommends upgrades to all facilities as required.
- Manages annual recruitment drive.
- Prepares the membership list and updates records.
- Orders membership supplies from the EFCL.
- Check online membership sales at efcl.org and distributes cards and skate tags
- Attend sports / program registrations to sell memberships as required
- Recruits and supervises volunteer canvassers.
- Reviews and prepares policy and procedures with respect to membership.
- Recommends fee structure and strategies to increase membership.
- Reviews and prepares policy and procedures related to sports programs.
- Recruits coaches.
- Delegates coaching responsibilities.
- Organizes registration times.
- Recommends and collects sports programs fees.
- Coordinates maintenance of GCL-owned equipment (soccer balls, jersies, nets, etc.)
- Attends zone and other city-wide related meetings.
- Liaises with Edmonton Police Service to ensure a safe community. This includes:
- Reporting of major concerns;
- Implementation of action plans.
- Maintains Griesbach’s Neighbourhood Watch Facebook Group
- Works with Communication Director to ensure any important issues are communicated to all residents.
Parks & Gardens:
- Liaises with Canada Lands Company in the planting and maintenance of Griesbach major garden areas.
- Acts as the GCL connection with the Griesbach Community Gardens.
- Ensures a robust listing of volunteers is maintained for GCL events;
- Works with Sports Director to ensure volunteer deposit process is active, tracked and maintained;
- Recruits and assign volunteers to GCL social events, delivery of newsletters, fundraising ‘drives’ (Bottle drive, etc.) and Bingos and Casinos.
- Works with the City Community Recreation Coordinators (CRCs).
- Determines which programs will be offered to the community, then arranges for instructors and accommodation.
- Applies for grants for specific programs.
- Arranges registrations.
- Prepares budget and financial reports for the treasurer.
- Arranges payments to instructors, keeps appropriate records.
- Arranges access to the facilities used.
- Applies for grants and permits to run gaming events such as bingo and casinos.
- Works with Social Director in the development of ‘special’ fundraising events (Silent auctions, etc.) and helps secure appropriate donations
- Liaises with Structures and Facilities Director in fund development for specific project (i.e. Playground).
- (When the time comes for GCL) Prepares written reports on gaming events twice annually and submits the reports to Attorney General’s Department.
- Maintains financial records.
- Participates in meetings providing advice – often this individual will have specified background/knowledge/skills/connections lacking on the Board of Directors as a whole.
- Participates in committees.
*Must have a paid community membership to vote or run for a position. Memberships can be purchased in advance using the Communibee App or at the AGM, starting at 6:30 pm.