Reward the hard work of Griesbach’s Green Thumbs!
Front Yards in Bloom started in 1999, with 150 nominations in its first year. It is now the largest program of its kind in Canada. Last year, we received over 3,400 nominations city-wide. This year, our goal is to receive 3,700 nominations.
Front Yards can be nominated in one of four categories:
- General: Appealing front yards that makes people smile as they pass by! These yards could include a variety of colours, textures, plants, and garden features.
- Natural: Yards with a “natural” aesthetic, using native plants, and limited pesticides & herbicides.
- Edible: Yards incorporating edible fruits, flowers, and plants into the landscape design.
- Public Spaces (*New*): Yards with landscaping features and aesthetic appeal in front of a public building (including schools, businesses/offices, multi-unit residences, churches, and community league halls).
After the nomination deadline, volunteers deliver a sign and brochure to each nominated yard, and also choose some top yards for recognition. Edmonton Native Plant Group and Sustainable Food Edmonton judge the top Natural and Edible yards, respectively. Results will be announced during the Edmonton in Bloom Awards on August 12th at City Hall. Everyone is invited to attend the celebration!
Nominations can be submitted May 20 – June 30. It’s easy!
Anyone can submit a nomination (no self-nominations, please). Nominations must be for a front yard or a yard visible by everyone. There are two ways to submit your nomination:
- Online submission form at www.frontyardsinbloom.ca
- Phone 311
Front Yards in Bloom is a partnership between the Edmonton Horticultural Society, the City of Edmonton, and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.
For information, visit: www.frontyardsinbloom.ca
Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org