The ground may be covered in snow and ice, but it is time to get ready for the 2019 outdoor soccer season.
The registration days for Griesbach minor soccer and baseball will be the evenings of March 6 and March 12, so mark you calendars now and read on for additional information about registration and the upcoming season.
The season starts in early May and runs until the end of June, pending cities and provincials. Games and practice days are based on age category (see details below). For the younger groups, there will be a short practice, followed by a game on the same evening.
Registration dates and location
There are two remaining dates for parents to register their kids at Major General Griesbach School, at 304 Griesbach School Road.
March 6 – 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
March 12 – 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
It is MANDATORY that you attend one of the two Griesbach registration dates listed above. If you do not attend, your child will not be placed on a team.
Any registrations after the March 12 session will be subject to an additional volunteer commitment and $50.00 fee per child.
Baseball registration process
Register online first at: NEZ baseball
Follow all directions and bring paperwork to one of the in-person registration nights.
Soccer registration process, for all age categories – U5 to U19
Prior to attending the registration on one of the above dates, parents or guardians are required to do the following:
- Purchase a 2019/2020 community league membership ($25/household), or bring your current membership card. Can either be purchased online or at the registration sessions. Purchase online ahead of time to speed up the registration process.
- Pre-register online at the EMSA north website.
- Log in to your existing account (for returning players) or create a new soccer account (one account per family NOT per player).
- Once your account is created, fill out the online registration form for the player. You have the option of paying online in the session, or at one of the three registration sessions.
- You must print two paper copies of the form and bring them to one of the registrations dates. If you do not bring the printed forms, your registration will not be accepted. You will be asked to return with a complete package.
- If requesting a transfer, or to play on a certain team, please ensure the information is updated in the portal (community, coach and player request). Transfers are not guaranteed if that community team has no openings.
What to bring to registration
- A copy of the registrant’s birth certificate, Alberta health card or passport, so it can be documented on the registration. These are not kept.
- Two paper copies of the registration form.
- Select a volunteer commitment and provide a deposit cheque in the amount of $250. In the notes section of the cheque make the note of “volunteer deposit” and the player’s name. Do not fill in the payable section.
- If you have an outstanding or missed volunteer commitment from an earlier season, a cash deposit of $250 will be required.
- A cheque or cash for required registrations fees (see below) only if you have not already paid online through the EMSA north portal. If registering more than one player, registrations fees can be combined on one cheque.
Volunteer commitments for soccer and baseball
Be aware that volunteer commitments are mandatory part of the sports program. The commitment selection is first-come first-served basis. Parents who register their kids at the early-bird Feb. 4 session will have first pick of volunteer dates and times.
At the registration session you will receive a duplicate copy of your assigned commitments.
Coaching as a volunteer commitment
If you wish to volunteer as a coach, the $250 volunteer fee is waived and you will have to fill out the required forms. Please bring two photocopies of ID for the police security check. Edmonton Police Services requires the copies, which will be destroyed at the EPS security clearance centre after the check. Coaches must attend one of the mandatory coaching clinics, if they have not attended previously (dates to be announced). Clinic fees are paid by GCL.
What if there aren’t enough players?
If the player is registered in Griesbach and there are not enough players to field a team, parents or guardians will be notified and a transfer to adjacent community in the north zone will be done by the sports director. The Griesbach fee will remain in effect.
Age Categories / Fees for soccer
Fees are determined by year of birth. Fees include tax and non-taxable items. See more about fees and age groups here.
(Determined by year of birth. Fees include tax and non-taxable items) (Play dates below)
U5 (Mixed Only) (2014/2015) (Tues/Thurs) – Fee – $160
U7 (Boys/Girls) – 2012 / 2013 Fee (Mon / Wed) – $165
U9 (Boys/Girls) – 2010 / 2011 – (Mon/Wed) – Fee $195
U11 (Boys/Girls) – 2008 / 2009 – (Tues/Thurs) – Fee $215
U13 (Boys/Girls) – 2006 / 2007 – (Tues/Thurs/ Possible Sun) – Fee $260
U15 (Boys/Girls) – 2004 / 2005 – Fee $275 (TBD)
U17 (Boys/Girls) – 2002 / 2003 – Fee $285 (TBD)
U19 (Boys/Girls) – 2000 / 2001 – Fee $290 (TBD)
There is funding through Kidsport and Jumps Start which both have online applications.
Fill out this PDF form to apply for for Kidsport funding.
Fill out this form to apply for Jumpstart funding.
100% refund if before April 1 (Pre amalgamation).
50% refund if before April 3 (Zone team final declarations).
Once season commences, after April 4, no refunds will be made.
If you have any questions please contact the Griesbach Community League sports director.
Griesbach Explorers registration process
1. Download this form and fill out two copies to bring to the registration session.
2. Attend one of the registration dates at MGG School, on either March 6 or March 12. No online registration is required.
3. Purchase a valid community league membership. Available at the registration or online in advance.
4. Pay the registration fee: $50.00 (please bring cheque or cash).
5. Select a volunteer commitment and provide a $250.00 refundable cheque: to be returned once your volunteer commitment has been honoured.
6. If you wish to volunteer as a mentor for the complete season, that counts as your volunteer commitment.