Calling all history buffs! The Griesbach Community League is launching a military history scavenger hunt ahead of the Party at the Park on Sept. 8.
Download and print this entry form (opens as a PDF), or print off this entire page with the questions below. All of the information needed to answer these questions can be found on the plaques and information pedestals in the community. Fill out the answers and drop it off at the Party at the Park on Sept. 8 to win.
There will be three prizes for correct entries, at a value of $100 per prize. Only correct entries can win. If there are more than three correct entires, winners will be randomly drawn from all correct entries.
Party at the Park History Scavenger Hunt
- Entries must be submitted at the Party at the Park on Saturday Sept. 8, 2018 at the membership registration tent.
- Only entries that get 100% of the answers correct will be entered in the draw.
- Winner of the draw will be contacted and their name will be posted online and/or in the community newsletter.
- Only one entry per household.
Phone number: Email address:
To answer these questions, begin your journey through Griesbach at Patricia Lake, continue through Bedford Basin with a quick stop at the Central Park, before moving onto Roundel Lake. All of the information needed to answer these questions can be found on the plaques and information pedestals in the community.
1. Who is the founder of the P.P.C.L.I.? ___________________________________
a. In the Battle of __________________________ he was seriously wounded
b. and lost a leg at _________________________
2. What is the name of the type of bridge at Patricia Lake? ____________________________
3. There is a time capsule in the memorial at the Patricia Lake. On what date is the time capsule to be opened? _______________________________________________________________________
4. The Canadian Airborne Regiment was disbanded in which year? ____________
5. What is the name of the park where the Canadian Airborne Memorial Cairn is located? ______________________________________________________________________
6. The last Canadian to be awarded the Victoria Cross was ________________________________
7. Name the first real warship of the Canadian Navy _____________________________________
8. Name of the Edmonton Division of the Canadian Navy (Reserve) ______________________
a. The motto for the Edmonton Division of the Canadian Navy is (English or Latin) _________________________________________________________________________
9. At the top of hill in Central Park, what is the theme of the information pedestals? _________________________________________________________________________
10. Name the system to identify military aircraft, attached to the wing or fuselage ________________________________________________________________________
11. What was the name of the air demonstration team before the Snowbirds? _______________________________________________________________
12. The current RCAF motto is “Sic itur ad astra.” Ad astra is Latin for _______________________
13. Who wrote “In Flanders Fields”? ________________________________________________